- Project: Karbala Refinery Project – Waste Water Treatment Package
- Owner: State Company for Oil Project (SCOP)
- Client: HDGSK JV (Hyundai E&C, Hyundai Eng., GS E&C , SK E&C)
- Location: Karbala, Iraq
- Capacity: 12,672 m3/d
- Start-up: 2018 (Projected)
- Application: Water reuse; wastewater treatment
“The Karbala Refinery Project, which includes the construction of four refineries, is expected to produce a range of products including liquefied gas, petrol, gas oil, fuel oil and jet fuel to serve growing domestic needs.”
SWT was awarded the contract to engineer and supply a complete turn-key, industrial wastewater treatment system for the Karbala Oil Refinery plant. This massive project consisted of API oil/water separator, dissolved air flotation, membrane bioreactor (MBR), activated carbon filters, ultrafiltration, softener, reverse osmosis, sludge thickeners and dehydrators.
The product water will be re-used in the refinery plant while solid waste and RO brine will be sent to an incinerator and brine concentrator, respectively (provided by others), completing the Zero Liquid Discharge System.